Friday, December 17, 2010

Santa Claus

I've been thinking about how to approach Santa in our house.  This year I can slink by but next year I'll have to have a decision.

I don't want to NOT "do" Santa, but I also don't want my kid making a huge list of "I want I want I want" either.  Here are some rather in choerent thoughts of mine on it.

As a kid I remember beliving in Santa.  Though I dont think the issue was ever really pushed.  We wrote a letter to Santa and put it in the stove.  My idea.  My reasoning was that it would float up to the North Pole like the kids letter in Mary Poppins.  (Plus playing with fire was fun)  I remember not really believing in Santa but playing along just for the magical feeling.  I like pretending to believe and the childlike wonder of it.  Even when I was first married and we had no children, I wanted to put out a plate of cookies for Santa...and I did much to my husbands annoyance at my silliness (but he loves me anyway).

I also remember my parents not putting any presents under the tree until we were in bed on Christmas Eve.  The main reason was because we'd snoop.  But I remember the thrill of waking up Christmas morning, to the tree being on and presents piled high.  My parents would turn the tree on before they went to be and when I'd get up I remember thinking "Santa came and he turned the lights on!"  That was the only logical explanation right??  Then there was the year Santa broke an ornament....lol

My mother in law and grandmother in law love Santas.  They have a collection, and I mean a HUGE collection, so for one, not telling my kid about Santa....well it just ain't happening.

I'm thinking that we'll have Santa fill the stocking, or maybe give just one gift.  I dont want Isaac making a big deal over "Santa bring me this, and this, and this, and this."  But I do want him to enjoy the magic and the wonder of it.  Getting up and seeing presents under the tree.  Half eaten cookies.  The thrill!

I am also not crazy about the idea of "Santa" giving all the gifts that the parents worked so hard at selecting and purchasing.  Not that I want all the credit, but it gives kids a lack of appreciation for the parents, in my opinion.  Which is why maybe Santa will give one gift.  Or just the stocking.  Isnt that how the orignal Santa stories go?  Santa would fill the kids stockings?

I don't think "doing" Santa takes away from reason of Christmas.  I don't think it detracts from Christ's birth.  I think it can be part of the celebration of Christ's birth.  Additionally, I don't think families who don't "do" Santa are depriving their kids.  I think its a personal choice for each family.  On of my favorite prints/figurines I have ever seen is Santa bowing before the Christ child.  Its a beautiful image of how I feel about Santa in our home.  Santa Clause brings gifts to children in celebration of the birth of the Savior. 

4 comments:

Janine said...

I absolutely LOVE that photo!!! I've never seen it before!! Where did you find it?!?! I want it!

I agree with you. So far we're a "no santa" house, but I'm not sure how that's going to play out at all. It's hard.

Erin said...

Not sure where I first saw the picture. There are several versions of it, just Google "Santa with Christ Child" in am image search.

Tammy said...

We let the kids pretend Santa but they know it's pretend. Just like any other fictional character - Cinderella, etc. It's just as fun and no worries about bad reactions when they find out the truth.

I want to always tell our children the whole truth and nothing but the truth (age appropriately for all topics of course).

Pretending Santa strikes the perfect balance IMHO. ;)

We usually do one Santa gift (of course, the kids know we bought it, but it's fun to pretend!)

HomemadeMother said...

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 9 month od son. To prevent the "I want its!" from both of them as they get older we started a tradition this year: each kid gets four gifts, one from each of the following categories: want, need, wear, read. It makes gift buying easy for me, and it helps manage their expectations. This was the first year we did this, and it worked brilliantly.