Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I'm a Good Wife...and I am not June Cleaver!


I'm not June Cleaver. Somedays I wish I were. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong era. I'd love to meet my hubby at the door, in an apron and pearls (hmmm...that'd make for an interesting evening, but I shall not blog about that). I'd love to greet him with a kiss, take his briefcase, and tell him dinner will be ready in just a bit. However, our "welcome home" routine is somewhat different.

Somedays he gets home first and I am greeted by an anxious little dog jumping clear up to my shoulder sometimes. (If she could talk she'd be saying "Mama, its been 4 hours since I've seen you. I thought you'd abandoned me". ) If I get home first I take her O-U-T (a word we spell unless we inted to do just that). Then I proceede to change into my comfy clothes and tackle the kitchen. Loading the dishwasher while making dinner. When hubby comes home HE is greeted by the dog (she greets the last person home in the above referenced manner). I get a quick kiss and return to my task at hand, meal prep.

Making dinner...I'd love to make everything from scratch. I went through a phase where I attempted just that. I made seasoned rice mixes from scratch, no prepacked stuff for me. We ate wholesome whole grains, unprocessed foods, lean meats. Everything made by my hands. No frozen entrees. No add water and bake mixes. Sounds good, whats the problem you ask. The problem is, on Wednesday night-church night-I'd say "Oh I'm in a hurry, I'll grab Taco Bell." Or "Its Friday, I dont feel like cooking so lets have KFC" Or, "I need to work on laundry, I'll pick up a pizza." You get the picture, everytime meal time came and I was tired there was nothing super easy to fix! Oh where were my hamburger helpers, my frozen pizzas, my boxed dinner kits? They were no exsistent in my "healthy, happy, housewife" kitchen! So now I modify, I buy big bags of rice, cans of staple veggies, and lots of "ingredients" but I also buy Hamburger Helper, Frozen Pizza, Heat and Eat Entrees. I've decided that $5 for a meal for two for a good frozen entree is much better for us than $12.50 from Taco Bell.

Anyway, thats my deep enlightenment. I'm not June Cleaver but that doesnt mean I am not a decent wife. Many of you may be saying "well duh?" But for those of you who know me personally...the fact that I can say the above things and not beat myself up over it is a HUGE step.

So tonight for dinner...we'll either have "Paprika Chicken and Noodles" out of a Rachael Ray cookbook or "Zataran's Dirty Rice" out of a box. Either way, I will be doing my role as a wife by providing a meal for my family.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I couldn't help but smile at your posting. I have volumes to say about the "retro family" as I sometimes call it. It's actually a giant passion of mine that we educate people about what we are losing. If you have a minute, please visit my blog about this very topic and let me know what you think. It's all about being a wife and mother and family ROCK. Warmly; Theresa Baker
http://theresalbaker.typepad.com/