Finally got some replies from Congressman and Senator on KV Pharmaceuticals/Makena. (Unaware? Read Here and Here). I was very disappointed. I knew I'd get nothing more than a form letter, but I guess I at least expected a well put together form letter. Here is the first from my Congressman Womack...well I guess he wont be mine for much longer since we got a lovely redistricting...solves the problem of not voting for him huh?
Congressman Steve Womack
Member of Congress
1) Oh my goodness...I had no idea what Makena was, thats why I wrote you!
2) Really...I had no idea (being a mom of a child born at 28 weeks)what a preemie was and what that meant!
3) Your stats are wrong...1 in 8 babies are born prior to 37 weeks..."complete gestation" is 40 weeks..or 42...due dates are just estimations.
4)So glad for the cost decrease...I mean $690/per week for like 19 weeks (what I will be doing) is SO doable.
5) Love how it was signed "Congressman Signature" Awesome...
6) No...I'd rather NO get your BS newsletter.
Second letter. I've always likes John Boozman. He seemed like a good guy. But unfortunately I think his current office has gone to his head. Now, his letter wasnt as bad. But still not quiet what I expected and its making me seriously rethink my vote...
Dear Mrs. Rxxxxx,
1) Yes I KNOW that 17P had been available for less through compounding pharmacies...what is with telling me everything I just told you? Do you find your constituents THAT stupid?
2)Protecting me? From what? Compounding pharmacies have been putting this drug together for years, I think like 50 years, there have been NO quality issues. These are NOT back alley crap holes, they are licensed pharmacies and pharmacists. The new Makena has perservatives...has that been tested? Is that safe?
3) How does making a neccessary drug unattainable for those who need it, risking lives and health of babies help or "protect" us?
4) I dont like the idea that the govts job is to "protect us". Protect us? Or yank freedoms?
5) I know that the FDA doesn't influence pricing but my concern is (if you read the email I sent) is that the FDA took this drug, handed it over to KV Pharma, a bankrupt unethical company. Good move.
Also love how all these responses came in AFTER the price had been dropped. AFTER the society of OB/GYNS boycotted KV Pharma. AFTER the March of Dimes pulled their partnership. AFTER the FDA issued a statement that compounding pharmacies can continue to make the drug. Pretty much after the publicity died down, and after there was a resolution (for the most part) THEN and ONLY then do they reply telling me how they care, and are helping, yada yada yada BS BS BS.