Saturday, October 10, 2009

It gets old...

It gets old having my pregnancy and birth experience constantly discounted. Being chastised for sharing my feelings because I might scare someone or make them feel guilty for discussing third trimester woes.

I'm sorry this post sounds whiney and everyone probably thinks I should move on. But other women are allowed to talk about their childbirth/pregnancy experiences, then why can't I?

Maybe I should drop it, forget it, and move on...but well I cant ok...I cant. I'm messed up. I'm bitter. I am probably suffering from some type of PTSD. I know it. I admit to it. And well theres nothing I can do about it.

I dont wish what happened to me on anyone but the reality is 1 in 8 babies in the US are born premature and those stats are on the rise! So the chances of a premature birth or preterm labor effecting you or someone close to you are pretty high, though I pray no one I know has to go through it.

6 comments:

Claire said...

For what it's worth, honey, I think your talking about it is a good thing. Knowledge is power, and your speaking out will empower others. In addition, your experiences are valid and important and have a right to be heard just as much as anyone elses.

You go, young lady!

Cxx

Anonymous said...

Unless they have been through it most people do NOT understand. I know all too well what you have gone through and still are as I still am!

Jen said...

I have to say it: I don't want to hear anyone's birth experience. Birth is gross, painful, and really scary. That being said, pregnant women should probably be well-informed. Hear your friends' stories, read the books, visit the websites, etc. It seems like everyone's got a special aspect in their experiences anyways, so why not you? As long as you're not poo-pooing on anyone's hopes or plans, go for it. Tell your story. Wish people the best. Enjoy your kiddo and stay away from moms. (Seriously.)

Di said...

You should NEVER stop talking about it!!! You never know who you might be helping. Poo on the naysayers!!

Kathryn said...

Talking about it is one of the best ways to heal. I know I'll keep talking about my PPD even though I'm sure people are sick of hearing about it. You can't keep that stuff inside it messes with you.

Nicole said...

Our pasts make us who we are. I'm sure what you have experienced has changed you considerably. Embrace it and let others know what God has done for you.